Re: RMAN question

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:44:31 +1000

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=235973.1

> which seems to make some difficulties automating the creation of a
> standby db. There are many differences between 9 and 8, I expect most
> issues are workaroundable, but a lot of little things add up...
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/tue/business/news_1b7sun.html

We've had this discussion before, Joel. That's a bug as plain as plain can be, and these things certainly happen, and certainly add up. And you live in the real world and have to deal with these bugs, and I don't. So my advice is theoretical and general (so maybe I should have said 'there is no *theoretical* reason why you need to run with a catalog'). And you're experiencing the limitations of theory and generalisations.

Which is a valuable reality check for the rest of us, but doesn't change my fundamental advice. "If your backup needs are not complex...": encountering such a bug would make your backup needs ipso facto complex.

HJR

See my brand new website, soon to be full of
new articles: www.dizwell.com.
Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!