Re: Where Is Sort Done on Dblink?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 19:55:04 +0200

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:38:34 GMT, "Buck Turgidson" <jc_va_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Buck Turgidson" <jc_va_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> We are selecting from large_table_at_remotedb and ordering by a column. Is
>> there sort done in the local SGA or remote SGA? We want to increase the
>> sort_area_size, but we are not sure in which instance to do it.
>>

>By querying v$sort_usage while running the long-running query in another
>session, it appears to be done in the remote db. Can someone confirm my
>conclusion?

sorting in the local db doesn't make sense, as Oracle would *by exception* be forced to push the entire resultset unsorted over the database link. This would change the behavior of Oracle with respect to sort and it would hamper the transparency of the database link feature.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA