Re: Outsourcing developer to India and China - As an Oracle developer I am miffed

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 21:13:54 +0100

"John Rutherford" <jr1.rutherford_at_virgin.net> wrote in message news:HuBfb.639$b73.955324_at_newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net...

Apologies if this is a bit off topic - But I have just come back off an oracle course - 2 people of which are being made redundent due to outsourcing.

Are we having our life opportunities terminated and rolled out at a cheaper cost in these countries. I thought Globalisation was supposed to bring competition - Instead our IT manager are giving away our livlyhoods for nothing.

That *is* competition. I'll assume since you are posting from a UK ISP that you are based in the UK - similar examples will hold whereever. The Coal industry is pretty much dead because of price, the clothing industry is dead because of price, the car industry is dead because of price. Now you and I might regret that but I'll wager you don't only buy home produced clothes, cars, energy, or for that matter software and hardware. Why should your industry be a special case?

If these people want oracle jobs than they should get of their butts and come to 1st world countries. We should not give it to them on a plate just to save a few scents - Cause lets face it - once these economies try to get off their knees we will bomb them back into the stone age - But for you my oracle friends -that will be too late!!

Well as India and China both have nuclear weapons the 'bomb them back to the stone age' option might be somewhat problematic :(. In order to win offshore outsourcing contracts the provider has to compete on quality, support and business hours service as well as price. Meanwhile if we are saying that only 1st world countries should use advanced technology, but that they should have an open door immigration policy, well that is interesting on several fronts.

2 things we can do
Boycott organisations who outsource
Be ethical as a customer and use vendors who do not outsource ie Pick who you bank with and by food from carefully- you get the idea

I'm all in favour of ethics (it's that Christianity thing sorry everyone). I don't agree that 'look after yourself in preference to others' is an ethical value that holds much attraction for me.
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Please include version and platform and SQL where applicable It makes life easier and increases the likelihood of a good answer