Re: Shrinking Rollback Segemnts in a Proc

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 08:42:54 +1000

Kenneth Koenraadt wrote:

> Hi Howard,
>
> I am certainly not in favor of "optimal", it's like sand in the
> shoes.....
>
> But it should not be necessary to shrink them (manually or
> automatically) on a regular basis. The ideal is to let them grow as
> necessary and leave them alone, I think.
>
> And maybe, twice a year, you could shrink them manually, when an
> application goes crazy, generating 16 Gb of undo space.....shrinking
> them on a regular basis (e.g every night) would hide such symptoms of
> crazy applications. That was what I meant.
>
> - Kenneth Koenraadt

Can't agree, Kenneth. It takes but one careless user to fail to commit something, and rollback segments will start to grow. Yes, you should monitor for blocking transactions on a continuous basis and take action that way; but that's precisely why a procedure to monitor and shrink if needed is such a good idea.

I know what you're saying: size the things so they don't need to grow to accomodate normal transactions. Absolutely. But users being users, that's never enough.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 17:42:54 CDT