Re: OT: Interesting DB article

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2003 15:56:50 -0700

rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote in message news:<1efdad5b.0310030737.5e838044_at_posting.google.com>...
> This article speaks to low end systems well. I dont mean low end by
> amount of data, I mean low end by what you are doing with the data.
> Most low end systems dont need a robust database. They wont use it.
> The people they hire will have lower salaries and wont be skilled in
> how to use the features.

So Oracle Apps is low end and the people have low salaries? :-)

> Though the article is naive. You cant judge a database by its size. I
> would argue that a huge portion of Oracle's revenue come from the
> smaller number of larger projects. Since they will use alot of these
> features Oracle has to keep adding them in order to keep their
> business.

I think you've made an excellent point here. New features are driven by what? Some of them are requests from large customers that need something in particular. Some are driven by in-house dreamers or "agents of change" who can convince Larry of a marketing advantage. Maybe some are Larry's personal gotta-haves. And some are flown by the Kytes of the world, thank g*d.

What can we see from their revenues?
http://www.oracle.com/corporate/investor_relations/1Q04_supplemental_financials.pdf Hmmm, db revenues are more than 4 times apps revenues, but the former are shrinking and the latter are growing. Can't really tell from there if the larger projects are driving features... from http://www.oracle.com/corporate/investor_relations/corpoverview_september2003.pdf we can see that the Americas are dropping, but everywhere else is growing... I don't see how 10G is going to keep license revenue from dropping unless it is targetting large customers to try to suck some mainframe dollars.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Please turn off all electronic devices."