Re: Oracle Licenses vs Processes

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:23:24 GMT

Richard Stanton wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have 'inherited' an oracle 8.05 database running on nt and have a
> question regarding processes and licenses.
>
> The database is accessed mainly through an application, but also
> serves some asp pages. We are licensed for 40 concurrent users.
>
> Occasionally we get a situation where you try and connect to the
> database and you get an error message stating that "maximum number of
> processes (100) exceeded".
>
> What processes is this referring to and how is it related to connected
> sessions? If it's just a default database setting, is it something I
> could change?

The 'processes' issue is related to your init.ora and can be manually reset at any time. (This does not touch whether you are legally allowed to adjust this.) This is fairly well described in the DBA Guide.

The licenses issue is related to your legal advisor, your purchasing group, your contract and Oracle. In some situations, a concurrent 'user' is allowed to have any number of concurrent sessions. In other situations, concurrent 'user' is synonymous with concurrent 'session'. There may be additional interpretations as well. Received on Thu Oct 02 2003 - 14:23:24 CDT