Re: Is this a good situation for an Index ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:45:32 +1000

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0310011239.f8f11fe_at_posting.google.com...
> > as a lunatic financial arrangement...
>
> Yeah, Larry is crazy like a fox :-)

Absolutely! Only someone very deranged at DEC could have agreed to sell an entire customer base to Oracle for little more than the cost of a year's full maintenance of same. Which Oracle recouped in 12 months anyway. Brilliant! :D

> market. I also think that Oracle necessarily will lose the low-end,
> and likely the middle. But maybe he knows something we don't.

Let's hope he does. Because...

> Think the high-end will be a battle between IBM and O? Lotsa big iron still
> out there...

this will be the end of O if it comes to just it. IBM has just too much clout on the high end for Oracle to survive against them. And Larry has seriously pissed the IBM top brass off. All one has to do is read Gerstner's book to get the clear and unequivocal feeling they won't rest until they kick Oracle out of every possible place.

If O don't get some sort of wedge in the middle and low-end, that's it, I'm afraid... It won't happen in a flash, of course. But it will sure happen.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto