Re: Is it possible to recover just one datafile/tablespace "until cancel"?

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:06:50 +0000 (UTC)

In <ysJeb.1862$x67.605_at_bignews4.bellsouth.net> "Burt Peltier" <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net> writes:

>--
>"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> Burt Peltier wrote:
>>
>> > If all you lost were archived redo logs, you should not have had to do
>> > much , I think.
>> >
>> > Not sure what you did first, but the correct course of action might have
>> > been real simple. Of course, once you do 1 wrong command, the correct
>> > command may no longer work. Good reason to do a cold backup before doing
>> > any recovery.
>> >
>> > I once had a database crash in the middle of a hot backup. It looked
>like
>> > I needed to do some kind of recover.
>> >
>> > But, I think (been a while - doing this from poor memory) all I had to
>do
>> > was 'recover database' . Basically, because the datafiles were in "begin
>> > backup" mode, Oracle needed the current REDO log just to "sync" things
>up
>> > and take the datafiles out of backup mode.
>> >

>> This disaster just continues to run and run, doesn't it?
>>
>> No, Burt. You didn't need to do 'recover database' at all (and if you'd
>just
>> lost your archive logs, it wouldn't have worked in any case). All you need

>I suppose it has been a while and I could be mistaken, but ...

>Assuming the hot backup did not run for a long time and all the recently
>archived REDO are still intact (not over-written since being archived)
>because Oracle has not yet "cycled" thru all the online REDO logs, wouldn't
>the most recent REDO needed for a "recover database" in this case have been
>available and so Oracle would not have had to go to look in the archived log
>dest?

Could be. However in this case, it _did_ run for a while (although I would not have thought it would have _done_ anything withut being able to write to the archivelog files). It wnet from about 23:00 of Wednesday till about 10:00 the next day, before I did a dbshut on it.

>> to do if you crash in the middle of a hot backup is 'alter database
>> datafile x end backup'. That causes the headers of the files to be
>> re-synchronised, and therefore an 'alter database open' would have worked.
>> Of course there might be more than one file in hot backup mode, so a quick
>> check of v$backup before doing anything is always in order.

>Good info ... I will try to remember this . Thanks.

YI am pretty certain I will remeber this!

>> The tragedy of Stan's predicament is that this is *not* what he did, but
>> proceeded instead to muck about with incomplete recoveries on some files,
>> and not on others, followed by Lord knows what else. And as you so wisely
>> put it, once you've embarked upon a failed recovery, the correct recovery
>> procedures are unlikely to work when they are (eventually) tried. The
>> suggestion of a cold backup before starting any recovery is an excellent
>> one -though often not practical in a production 24x7 environment :-(
>>

>Good point. Instead of a cold backup, could you just copy the REDO logs and
>control files (while the database is down) ... so you could then copy these
>back to try again:
>- copy REDO and control files while the database is shutdown
>- ** do failed recover wrong commands **
>- recover all datafiles from hot backup (assuming you have these)
>- restore REDO and control files from just copied versions before 1st failed
>recover
>- try recover again

Mmm, too bad we did not come up with this ealrier. I _di_ have these files.

Thanks to veryone that helped me with this disaster!

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin