Re: Archive Log Creation Rate??

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2003 19:04:44 -0700

"Charles Davis" <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<a-GdnTG0_8tG0eaiU-KYuA_at_comcast.com>...
> Hi, all.
>
> I am looking for opinions about sizing ReDo logs vs the rate at which
> Archive Logs are created.
>
> Oracle suggests archiving once every 20-30 minutes.
>
> Others suggest archiving more frequently to minimize potential data loss and
> for a shorter recovery/warm start when reading the most recent archive log.
>
> Either approach affects the ReDo sizes specified for the average database
> taking into account the usual logged update activity.
>
> I was cutting a 200MB archive log every 5 minutes, then I increased ReDo to
> 1GB to archive less frequently, more in line with what Oracle suggested.
>
> What's your opinion or experience? I'd love to hear it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Charles

opinion:
- find the code that is generating the most redo and tune it. - post the version number, as some paramters in 9.2.x are available that are not in earlier versions
- archive_lag_target
- use a proc to switch the logs automatically if they haven't switched in n minutes.

Pd Received on Wed Oct 01 2003 - 21:04:44 CDT