Re: imp can't read my export file, what does this error mean?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:54:53 GMT

You told it which file, but you didn't tell it *where* that file was! So it can't open the file. The imp utility assumes the file is in your current directory unless you tell it otherwise. With the FILE parameter, or when prompted for the file name, try specifying the path and file name together. If you changed your directory to the cross mounted NFS directory, then my answer is obviously incorrect. Also check your file permissions to ensure that the imp utility can access the file.

HTH,
Brian

Stan Brown wrote:

> For those of you following my ongoing (now approaching a week long) saga.
> Here is the latest.
>
> I've got the Oracle instance backup, recreated the datafiles/tablespaces
> that I had to drop. The recreated the indexes, and objects that were in
> those datafiles.
>
> Now the only remaining thing to di is recover a small bit of data from the
> previous nights dump file. Getting access to that file was a fairly long
> excersise, as it's about 10G in size! I do not have that much spare disk
> space on the Oracle machine, so I ungiziped it on a handy FreeBSD machine.
> Then I had to patch the Oracle machine (HP-UX) to enable NFS V3, so that I
> could correctly access this file over NFS. At this point, I thought I was
> home free. Far from it :-( Now Oracle is giving me fits again. When I try
> to run imp to import the tables I need, I get:
>
> Connected to: Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.5.0 - Production
> PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.5.0 - Production
>
> Import file: expdat.dmp > oracle_dump.09242003.exp
>
> IMP-00002: failed to open oracle_dump.09242003.exp for read
> IMP-00021: operating system error - error code (dec 2, hex 0x2)
>
> What the heck is this trying to tell me?
>
> Is this file too big of imp?
>
> Is thee a way around this?
>
> --
> "They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve
> neither liberty nor safety."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com