Re: Database Integration Question

From: KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:35:40 +1200

Hi Dan

Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) is a whole area in its own right and I am far from an expert. But I have had to support a few applications and technologies from this area (IBM MQ Series Integrator and Oracle InterConnect) and they all seem to work in a similar way.

To prevent a transactional nightmare and to keep the systems loosely-coupled they all use some means of asynchronous messaging (eg Oracle AQ) to pass messages between the systems with the common payload of the message being XML.

MQSI and Oracle InterConnect have this hub and spoke architecture with the idea that you have a business view 'model' and that you write adapters for a given system to generate / receive data according to the   model. The benefit of this is meant to be that any new integration only involves you writing an adapter for the new system in order for it to be able to communicate with any other system on the hub.

I have seen this work successfully in the Legal, Telecoms and Banking world. But it is one of those front-loaded projects, so if you only have a few integrations may not be worth the effort.

Using XML and async messaging is probably worth the effort whatever the scale of the project. This technologies are also well suited to Java.