Re: Suggestions for first exam ...

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Sep 2003 16:05:57 GMT

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote:

> From the Oracle education materials, if I remember them correctly, the
> advice on avoiding sorts whenever possible was not meant that you should
> not do a sort if you need to return data in a specific order. That is
> impossible. Rather, it was meant to make you think on whether you needed
> the sort at all. For instance, do you really need to use UNION (which
> needs a sort) when UNION ALL will do (which doesn't need a sort). That
> sort of thing was what the materials were referring to.

Apropos of little, a UNION can theoretically be performed without sorting by using a hash table. Does Oracle entertain this possibility?

I imagine it would brutalize many poor saps who don't specify "order by" but assume it will be sorted anyway.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB