Re: Suggestions for first exam ...

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2003 17:12:17 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1064841236.241844_at_yasure>...
> Noons wrote:
>
> >"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message
> >

> >>and I think that this
> >>
> >>type of balance is difficult to implement perfectly, and a
> >>
> >>number of practical imbalances can arise.
> >>

> >he "thinks", therefore it MUST be.
> >Jeez....
> >

> I think one way to deal with this is to pointedly bring it to Oracle's
> attention. Perhaps an email campaign,
> conducted with style and grace, not email-bombing, would get the
> attention of those at Oracle and convince
> them to wake up. I've done my part already. Surely everyone has a few
> friends inside that can carry the
> torch.

I strongly agree with you, however, thinking about it just gives me the sinking feeling that raising a ruckus about vetting oramag articles might just give some PHB the idea to not make any of them freely available electronically <sigh>.

On the other hand, one's big pile of crap is another's opportunity. :-)

This has been such an educational thread, coming at a time when I had just submitted an estimate on a project, partly for such work. But it does underline the, um, "diversity" of design out there: Table has a primary index with 22 fields (out of 40+), of which I will of necessity be deleting and recreating about a million rows (out of 3 million [American million, of course]), clumped throughout the data, all of which will require replacing one of the trailing blanks of that index with a letter near the end.

It's cheaper to upd/exp/trunc/imp/index than to figure out if I need to. Although I am curious. (817 RBO DMT)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/sat/currents/news_1c27bird.html