Re: Suggestions for first exam ...

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:16:45 +0100

Notes in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____Finland__September 22nd - 24th
____Norway___September 25th - 26th
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference)

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____USA__October
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message

> Coincidently again (first the last time), I've noticed a new article
by
> Jonathan Lewis at dbazine which nicely describes why the unbalanced
Oracle
> index is myth of utter crappy proportions (perhaps my complaint had
an
> effect ?)

I wrote it because I came across yet another bloody "expert" explaining that sequences cause Oracle's indexes to get extremely deep on the right so that indexes need to be rebuilt. There is another article coming out soon (I think) that points out why it is usually a waste of time to rebuild indexes at all - and gives an example showing how a regular rebuild can make things worse.
> Howard, you might be interested to know that Jonathan used the term
"skewed"
> and to describe the concept of "data skewness" where incrementally
> increasing insert values in the "RHS" of the index in combination
with
> deletes on the "LHS" of the index results in a balanced index (as it
*must*
> be) but one in which many of the index blocks on the left hand side
are far
> less dense in their data content. I quite like the term but it's
still open
> for mis-interpretation.

I suggested that the industry needed a term like 'skewed' to describe an index where the data density in the leaf blocks was greater on one side than the other. Personally, this is one of those areas of discussion (like 'stripe size') where I explain what I mean rather than relying on a simple term. Talking of OCP - have you seen the latest offering from Oracle Magazine about the 9i Performance Tuning exam. Examples of what might be in the exam: <QUOTE> What init.ora parameter determines the amount of memory that a server process should use for a sort process? A. SORT_AREA_SIZE B. SORT_AREA_RETAINED_SIZE C. SORT_MEMORY D. SORT_DISK </QUOTE> Note that this is the 9i exam - so where is the right answer in this list ? PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is the 'correct' and 'approved' approach to sort tuning in 9i - sort_area_size is soooo Oracle 8. <QUOTE> Consider the following SQL statement: select last_name, first_name, department, salary from employee order by last_name; As the DBA, assume that you did some research and found the following: 1. There is one index on the employee table that is based on the employee_id column. 2. The user SCOTT who executes the statement has the permanent tablespace USER01 assigned as both his default and temporary tablespaces. 3. The sort operation is too large to fit within the memory space specified by SORT_AREA_SIZE. </QUOTE> Note that this is the 9i exam - and some versions of 9 may be different on some platforms, of course, but when I tried to emulate the second observation on my 9.2.0.3 system, I get ORA-12910, or ORA-12911 i.e. a permanent tablespace cannot be used as a temporary tablespace, and a temporary tablespace cannot be used as a permanent tablespace.