Re: Is this a good situation for an Index ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:43:00 +1000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1064645404.188435_at_yasure...

> If M$ does the bundling they will effectively drop their SQL Server
> revenues to zero.
> They sure aren't going to sell any more copies of Windows because it
> contains SQL Server.

What you have to be aware of is that there are 2(two) Windows versions. One is the consumer stuff you and I buy. The other is Enterprise Server. That is a totally different beast.

> And if they raise the price of Windows it will only fuel the move to
> Linux. It effectively kills
> Access and drives a stake through the heart of any remaining Fox
> revenues too. This doesn't
> strike me as something Gates, Ballmer & Greedy would do.

They won't bundle full SQL Server with consumer Windows at the start. But it will be with every server version. That way their "db market share" will go through the roof.

> I'll also predict that if they put a copy of SQL Server into the hands
> of every teenager on the planet
> with a computer there will be a sudden proliferation of TransactSQL
> viruses and then the fun will
> really begin.

Hehehe! Bring on the fireworks, I say. Nothing will kill M$ more in the next few years than the effect of all these security troubles. The current one has put so many people against them it's not even fun.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto