Re: OLTP configuration suggestions

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 25 Sep 2003 22:47:27 -0700

kcounts_at_helios.acomp.usf.edu (Kevin Counts) wrote

> I'm curious what suggestions y'all would have for maximizing
> the storage configuration to allow the developers to import data
> from the production instance as fast as possible.

Huh?

Consider. Two physical disks in an array. Sitting 5cm from one another. One belongs machine A and the other to machine B. How do you get data from disk 1 (machine A) to disk 2 (machine B)?

Those two disks may have as well has been 500m from one another. Unless your storage system has some very funky software to make direct data transfer from disk 1 to disk 2 possible (which I doubt), the data will go from disk 1 to machine A, from machine A to machine B, from machine B to disk 2.

So the actual question is how to optimally transfer data from machine A to machine B. The disk storage config has nothing to do with it.

The data transfer in turn depends on how those machines are connected, the volume of data you want to transfer, the management & control you want in place for that transfer, data integrity and so on.

Data can be transfered via a distributed db link. It can be exported, FTP'ed and imported. It can be spooled to CSV file, FTP'ed and SQL*Load'ed. It can be replicated. It can be NFS shared. It can be distrubuted via transportable tablespaces.

--
Billy