Re: RMAN won't write to mapped drive under Windows

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Sep 2003 14:52:04 -0700

domenicg_at_hotmail.com (Domenic G.) wrote in message news:<c7e08a19.0309241041.113cb2ca_at_posting.google.com>...
> Paul,
>
> Thank you very much for the detailed and informative response. I'm
> using RMAN with 9.2.0.4. Normally I use RMAN to dump to disk and have
> the network backup come around and pick up the files later on.
> Getting RMAN to dump directly to tape looks like a pain. I changed
> all the Oracle Services to log on as Domain Admin but this doesn't
> work ...
>
> run {
> backup
> format '\\servername\sharename$\foldername\%U'
> database plus archivelog delete input;
> }
>
> With RMAN 9i, I know the RUN {} is not needed in this case, but it
> seems to me RMAN just can't write to a remote machine under Windows
> like this. I think I'm going to log a TAR with Oracle to see if it is
> possible.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Domenic.

Domenic,

> run as domain admin ...

I certainly wasn't advocating that response. What I meant to get across it the difference between the scope of local and domain accounts, and of the localsystem account.

It is higly likely that others have already encountered and solved this problem, maybe in comp.databases.oracle.server, maybe in Metalink Forums, maybe via TARs.

Since you have a metalink account, I'd search there.

Sorry that I can't help, but I'm having fun (not really) with execution paths changing greatly between 8.1.7 and 9.2, and it ain't in testing ...

Paul Received on Wed Sep 24 2003 - 16:52:04 CDT