Re: RMAN won't write to mapped drive under Windows

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:36:43 -0700

Domenic G. wrote:

>Paul,
>
>Pull out the stored outlines from 8i!! That's the only way you're
>going to solve that mess without injecting hints (if you can). CBO
>drives me nuts when it does this. If all else fails, switch to RULE,
>FIRST_ROWS_x and say a quiet prayer.
>
>Domenic.
>

>drak0nian_at_yahoo.com (Paul Drake) wrote in message news:<1ac7c7b3.0309241352.4782ec43_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>domenicg_at_hotmail.com (Domenic G.) wrote in message news:<c7e08a19.0309241041.113cb2ca_at_posting.google.com>...
>>

>>>Paul,
>>>
>>>Thank you very much for the detailed and informative response. I'm
>>>using RMAN with 9.2.0.4. Normally I use RMAN to dump to disk and have
>>>the network backup come around and pick up the files later on.
>>>Getting RMAN to dump directly to tape looks like a pain. I changed
>>>all the Oracle Services to log on as Domain Admin but this doesn't
>>>work ...
>>>
>>>run {
>>> backup
>>> format '\\servername\sharename$\foldername\%U'
>>> database plus archivelog delete input;
>>>}
>>>
>>>With RMAN 9i, I know the RUN {} is not needed in this case, but it
>>>seems to me RMAN just can't write to a remote machine under Windows
>>>like this. I think I'm going to log a TAR with Oracle to see if it is
>>>possible.
>>>
>>>Thanks again,
>>>
>>>Domenic.
>>>

>>Domenic,
>>

>>>run as domain admin ...
>>>

>>I certainly wasn't advocating that response.
>>What I meant to get across it the difference between the scope of
>>local and domain accounts, and of the localsystem account.
>>
>>It is higly likely that others have already encountered and solved
>>this problem, maybe in comp.databases.oracle.server, maybe in Metalink
>>Forums, maybe via TARs.
>>
>>Since you have a metalink account, I'd search there.
>>
>>Sorry that I can't help, but I'm having fun (not really) with
>>execution paths changing greatly between 8.1.7 and 9.2, and it ain't
>>in testing ...
>>
>>Paul

I'd suggest ignoring this advice and fixing the problem. Unless your PL/SQL and object types are vanilla Oracle 7.3 the RBO will not be used and everything will be a full table scan.

Dominic is just on a tear about the CBO and takes every chance to express his displeasure with the fact that Oracle has declared it deceased.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu