Re: sqllder hangs at 99-100% CPU on select of fet$

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:15:14 -0700

Don Seiler wrote:

>Not sure if anyone will see this post anymore but ...
>
>Now that I have a much better understanding of this situation, I'm
>wondering if it wouldn't be best to do my Oracle 7.3.4 -> 9i upgrade via
>export/import, but creating all the db objects in 9i before importing
>(tablespaces, tables, views, etc) and straightening out my extent issues
>in the process.
>
>This would also allow me a chance to organize my data files and any other
>issues that I might have.
>
>One question I'll bounce off the crowd is that this database altogether
>has almost 286 GB allocated to it right now. Server runs on a 4-proc HP
>L2000. Can anyone guestimate how long it will take to first export and
>then import the data? Do I export/import indexes or should those get
>rebuilt during import?

Time estimates are impossible. Even approximations unlikely to be accurate. Can't you get a copy of 8i and install it just long enough to upgrade 7.3.4 to 8i and then 8i to 9i all in place. That way you won't have to perform any exports or imports. And I, for one, wouldn't want to move 286GB unless I had to.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu