Re: Oracle DBA Job or Oracle Apps Support?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:17:11 -0700

Don Seiler wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:17:11 +1000, Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>>Seriously: the days of the DBA are numbered, and the emphasis is shifting to
>>the middle tier. If you can write it or deploy it on the middle tier,
>>you'll be in business. But administering the back-end? Forget it... it will
>>be self-destructing, er.... sorry, self-tuning from 10G onwards, and
>>self-immolating, er... sorry, self-administering, too.
>>

>Well that's depressing given all the ass-busting I'm putting in studying
>for certification and all the stress of this 9i upgrade. :p

There is likely no one in this industry doing what they did 10 years ago: Certainly not 15. Why would you expect it to be any different?

Also, I think we have been very plain here about the value, or lack thereof, in certification. Education yes, certification? Why?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu