Re: Does Oracle 10G new database still need an DBA to manage it?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:46:28 GMT

I haven't seen 10G yet....but the DBA will still be a vital person in the IT shop. What the DBA does will change though. There are still way too many tasks that we won't see automated for a very long time. Oracle has already done a good job of alleviating, or eliminating the more mundane tasks that a DBA does, even before 10G was announced. Things like LMTs, ASSM, RMAN, AUM have made my life easier. Does that mean that I don't have a job anymore? Not at all.

Cheers,
Brian

Eric wrote:

> Oracle announced its new 10G database and claims it is the self managing
> database. Does this mean the new database is like Microsoft Office and there
> is no need any dba to manage it?
>
> Eric

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com