Re: Oracle DBA Job or Oracle Apps Support?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:17:40 -0400

Apps is definitely hotter now. pays better. Now i dont think there are more Apps jobs, just less experience people. Keep in mind that specialized skillsets tend to pay better, but how long will that 'specialized' skillset be around.

its a tough choice. take the $20-30k/year bump now and risk not having a broad enough skillset in the future. An Oracle Apps DBA is still a DBA. Explore what you will be doing. If your still doing alot of DBA work, go for the specialized skillset. Just watch the market and keep an eye on things.

Over-specialization can be dangerous. if your worried that your company is using you exclusively in your specialized skillset and you think the market is change, quit and go somewhere else.