Re: 9.2.0.4 update and event 10195

From: Tanel Poder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:36:10 +0300

Hi!

Comments inline.

> > >Most examples use alter session but shouldn't the event be set for all
> > >sessions?
> > Yes, in the events init.ora parameter
> Ok, did it. Took me a while because alter system ... scope=spfile didn't
> work but
> putting *.event='10195 trace name context forever, level 1' into the pfile
> and
> starting, create spfile from pfile and restarting did the trick. Or, at
> least, a recreation
> of the pfile showed the event.
>
> > >And what's this "set event='...'" vs. "set events '...'" stuff?
> >
> > Inconsistent syntax, that's all
> Ok. Thanks!

There is no init.ora nor spfile parameter called "events". There is init.ora param called "event". You can set your spfile parameter event to following for example:

SQL> alter system set event='10046 trace name context lifetime 10, level 1:4031 trace name HEAPDUMP level 1;name ERRORSTACK level 3' scope=spfile;

System altered.

SQL> startup force;
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 269557572 bytes

Fixed Size                   454468 bytes
Variable Size             218103808 bytes
Database Buffers           50331648 bytes
Redo Buffers                 667648 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SQL> show parameter event
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
event                                string      10046 trace name context lifet
                                                 ime 10, level 1:4031 trace nam
                                                 e HEAPDUMP level 1;name ERRORS
                                                 TACK level 3

However, using "events" you can set events in your running session or for all new sessions (when using alter system). So, both syntaxes are correct, but they do different things, one modifies spfile only, others modify some bits in SGA & PGA.

> > >And how do I get rid of it? Even when Tom Kyte deals with event 10053 in
> his
> > >new
> > >book there was nothing about getting rid of that event.
> > >
> > >So, is there an "alter system unset events" or do I set the trace level
> > >zero
> > >or the event parameter to ''?
> >
> > alter system set event='10195 trace name context off'

Alter system set event ... context off, will only make that any new sessions won't have the event enabled. All existing sessions logged on between "alter system .. context forever" and "alter system .. context off" will still have this event set (unless explicitly unset using alter session). So, if you really want to remove the event from everyone, you should do it using dbms_system.set_ev procedure or oradebug (possibly checking the state of event using read_ev first). So, there is a way for removing events from everyone, it's not just very straightforward.

> > It is 'hidden' on Metalink and it is discussed in Internals courses.
> "Internals" courses? I just had a look at the german course catalogue but
> couldn't
> find any internals course. What I've got is the two fundamentals courses and
> my
> boss is hesitant to send me to another one without a bulletproof reason.
> So, out of the current catalogue
> (http://education.oracle.co.uk/html/oracle/1001/73/99/catalogue.htm),
> which one is the/an internals course where one would presumably get taught
> about that
> kind of internals?

Search for "Oracle9i Database: Seminar Series for Oracle Server" in OE website.

Tanel. Received on Fri Sep 19 2003 - 09:36:10 CDT