Re: Database Upgrade: 9i Or 10g

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:15:19 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
>

>>sean_at_cnfei.com (Sean Chang) wrote in
>>

>>>Hello, Everyone,
>>>

>>>Our company is currently running Oracle DB 8.1.7 EE in Solaris 8,
>>>we are planning to upgrade our database during this winter to
>>>a newer version in Linux. Which way should I go--- directly to
>>>Oracle 10g ( suppose 10g is available then) or to Oracle 9i only.
>>>In one hand I have read Oracle 10g has some nice new features, on the
>>>other hand Oracle 9i has been out for a while and it's likely more
>>>stable.
>>>Please advise.
>>>
>>>Sean Chang
>>>sean_at_cnfei.com
>>>

>>10g if you like being on the bleeding edge, 9i if not. Personally I'll
>>wait for R2 before I even think about upgrading to 10g. I've been burned
>>to many times with early versions of Oracle and Microsoft software.
>>
>>I wonder which version Orbitz will choose? :-)
>>

> I wonder whether they will invest some money in training their staff?   ;-)
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

geez, I *just* got all my db's to 8.1.7 this year, actually one still on 8.1.5, but at least got rid of the 8.0 and 7.X ones. I've barely even started thinking about 9i yet, probably start migrating them in the new year if the 3rd party apps are 9i compliant.

As far as going to 10g, by the time most of our 3rd party apps will be ready for 9i, it'll be well past the 2nd release anyway, in fact one app wasnt even ready for 8i until this last spring.

Almost everyone i know in the oracle world says wait until at least release 2, but someone has to take on for the team here and try out the brand-spankin new version, do they not? Or there would be no release 2!:-) Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 14:15:19 CDT