Re: RAC & Linux

From: PdV <piet.de.visser_at_logicacmg.com>
Date: 17 Sep 2003 01:29:15 -0700

Hope, Jim, Group,

OCFS is ok, but has its limitations : see metalink or OTN OCFS will only hold control-, data-, redo- arch- and spfile. It will explicitly NOT hold other files.

If you want other files (like oracle_home, or ETL) files to be shared, you need another CFS or go for some NFS-type shared mountpoints.

It is my Strong Opinion that you should not start a cluster of more then 2 nodes without a CFS that stores all files, notably Ora-home. Dispersing ora-home over >2 nodes is too much work and too much risk, at least in 9i.
Note: OUI will only handle up to 8 nodes, and I do not approve of its copy-strategy: it is not good practice to store+maintain multiple versions, other then for reasons of deliberate saftey/redundancy. The ease of management in a single ora-home, compared to multiple copies is compelling: try it.

The presentation you saw at OOW was by Kevin Closson, Polyserve, and his whitepaper is well worth reading, allthough he will strongly promote his
product too, can't blame him.

Basically, your requirement should be: a clustered file system that can hold ALL files, no limits.
On linux, you may have to compromise, like we did: placed the database on OCFS, and all other files on an NFS device.

Kevin may or may not forgive me that I mention some other CFS-es:

NB: Just Dreaming: Get bunch of KNs (Knowledgable Nerds) together and hammer out the UCFS: Ultimate Clustered File System, maybe under the OpenSSI initiative ?
Most of the knowledge is already out there: OCFS and OpenGFS are open-source, and openssi.org has interesting stuff available. This would of course kick some vendors in revenue-spots, so sponsorship would be difficult.
If only I was a true nerd....

Regards,

PdV