Re: INDEX and DATA Tablespaces.....

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 16 Sep 2003 23:19:45 -0700

hari_om_at_hotmail.com (Hari Om) wrote

> I am using Oracle 9.2.0.1 on IBM AIX 5.1L system.
>
> When designing DB and its physical layout.....do I need to SEPERATE
> INDEX TABLESPACE from its DATA TABLESPACE.....Oracle DBA Book by Loney
> says to better seperate these 2 Tablespaces....but some of the folks
> here in the google say it should be on SAME DISK.....kindly
> confirm......Any related links are appreciated.

I prefer separate tablespaces in a production environment for administration purposes. I even have two sets of index tablespaces in certain instances - one for the run-of-the-mill tables and one for VLT's. But that is to make _my_ life easier in administrating the database, controlling allocation sizes, space usage, etc. etc. BTW, in a dev environment, I have a single (quota) tablespace for personal developer schemas that caters for both indexes and tables. I prefer to have them make their mess in a single tablespace - besides, 99% of them always forget to put their indexes in the index tablespace, so why bother.

I think the "issue" that you ran into your googling is that some say that it provides for better performance separating your indexes and data into tablespaces. I fail to see that to be case. When it comes to physical disk i/o, performance is directly related on how many heads you have reading the data from disk. Which means striping good and striping well. :-)

--
Billy