Re: RAC & Linux

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:26:46 +1000

utkanbir wrote:

> Hi Gurus ,
>
> I have a question about Oracle Real Application Clusters . My system
> is Linux - Itanium , EMC , oracle 9x . This is a datawarehouse system
> . Our data files are stored by using Oracle clustered file system on
> EMC disk array.
> In order to extract and load data from source system to datawarehouse
> system , i use external tables. Basically , i load data by using
> external tables . My problem is with the locations of external files.
> At first i used oracle clustered file system but strange things
> happened there . ( tried to edit file or scripts by using vi , when i
> save the file , the contents are lost!!!)
>
> If i use a file system on one of the hosts , the other one cant see
> the external tables since the files are not stored in a clustered file
> system but regular file system. How can solve this problem apart from
> copying all data from one host to another? (One solution may be to
> have an ability which allows me to force RAC to use only one server
> for my external tables , is there such a method?)
>

> Kind Regards,
> hope

Some sort of NFS mount point perhaps?

The issue is the same as what you have to do with archived redo logs when you don't have a clustered file system. Since ARCH can't write to raw devices, you can only archive locally on each node. Yet each instance needs to be able to read the archives produced by both it *and* the other one. So you set up NFS mounts which make the local, private destination visible to the other node using normal networking techniques.

Same will apply to external tables' source textfiles.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Sep 16 2003 - 07:26:46 CDT