Re: Tom Kyte a false idol?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:22:20 GMT

"Bryant" <member31797_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:3366077.1063437998_at_dbforums.com...

> > The service he provides is worth a lot.
>

> You bet. I'm sure Oracle pays him a great deal of cash to be so
> generous to us mere mortals who do not have access to the system
> internals!

So you are jealos that he might make a lot of money. That's pretty sad. If you actually read his stuff and went to his site you would see that what he does does not involve knowledge about undocumented system internals. Instead it involves, RTFM and a strong habit of scientific method.

> > Should he feel proud?
>

> Are you kidding? If it were me, I'd be ashamed and embarassed to make a
> huge salary, plus take credit for having "insights" that only somebody
> with the source code would know.

So you are saying tht if you work hard and provide a useful service that you shouldn't make a lot of money. Earning money is a bad thing. You must be about 8 years old or have the mentality of such. Again if you actually read the stuff you would know that the techniques he uses do not involve any inside knowledge. If you RTFMed you would find that there is a huge amount of detail about the "Oracle internals". But then again that would involve reading and learning and not putting others down. I guess it would not be attention getting enough.

> Also, isn't much of the stuff in his latest book just copies of content
> that readers can get for free on the "asktom" website?
>

> The only thing I'm in "awe" of is his gall. It takes balls to charge
> $41.99 for something that he has already been paid to produce, plus
> published in other places.

Ah, so you don't think people should have to pay. Well, let me clue you into something called Adam Smith's invisible hand. If you don't like it don't buy it, certainly no one is forcing you. For those that do desire the book and find the $42 a good deal we will buy it. If not enough people buy it it is unlikely that another one will be done and Tom probably gets paid based on quanity. That is the invisible hand of the marketplace. If there is demand for something then people will produce it and conversly if there is not a demand for something then people will not produce it for long. Some of us live in a (here comes that word you probably hate) capitalistic society and so people get compensated (shudder) by how much and how effective they are at producing goods and services. That judgement of how effective they are is made by the great mass of people who either buy or do not buy whatever you are selling.

Jim