Re: OT - with PL/SQL in 10G,

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:08:32 -0700

Noons wrote:

>vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0309110929.77a6b6ac_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>I agree. And that was what I was kind of aiming at when refering to
>>"increase complexity". With grid computing we are entering a very new
>>and exiting technology. Add to that new features, improved features...
>>you know what them women folk say about boys and their toys.. :-)
>>

>forgive me the cynical approach. But I've heard the "this time it's
>so much better" mantra from Oracle so many times before, I'll have to
>sit back and smirk.
>
>Way past the stage where I could get excited at a new X$ view here
>and there. Or any of the RAC stuff. Or how few dba resources are
>gonna be needed from now on. Or how cheap it's gonna be now.
>
>When 9i came out and everyone was foaming at the mouth over it, I
>gave it a year. Tops. Bingo, 9ir2 sure did come out with heaps of
>bug fixes and making most of the new stuff truly usable. It created
>its own string of bugs and problems, though. And many unfound ones,
>which we'll learn about as people start using it. Most likely what will
>happen with 10 as well.
>
>I'll be going to the launch thingie here. Promises to be a good show,
>if we don't get a bomb scare like the US. At least Ken Jacobs looks like
>he's making an appearance. I'll always have time to listen to him.
>
>Cheers
>Nuno Souto
>wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam

The point of grid computing at Oracle is probably defensive rather than offensive. Grid computing is being forced on Oracle by Sun, HP, and IBM with their competing strategies for dynamic swapping of CPU within the data center. And all three vendors will be releasing pieces of the capability very soon.

So how was Oracle supposed to license its product? By user? Dead because of the web. By CPU? The hardware strategies, as mentioned above, have that one in intensive care with no chance of recovery. You can't license by CPU when one mouse-click on a console moves CPUs from machine to machine.

Oracle's only choice was to embrace the grid. And ... from the standpoint of marketing smarts ... to do so before the other vendors such as DB2, SQL Server, Informix, and Sybase. I think they've done a great job. Now, as I said before, they just need to reprice lower in order to recapture marketshare.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu