Re: Oracle 9i on Windows Server 2003 64 bit

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 04:07:28 -0400

Originally posted by aaa

> Hi,

> I have Oracle 9i (9.2.0.2.0) 64 bit installed on an Itanium server

> running Windows Enterprise Server 2003 64 bit, and I am having trouble

> creating the tables, views etc for a database.

> The 64 bit version of Oracle does *not* include the Enterprise Server

> Manager. The documentation that comes with Oracle says that you need

> to use the 32 bit version from a different machine, remotely. I do not

> have another machine set up with Oracle 32 bit. (BTW, it also does not

> include the security manager)

> The only means I have to create a database is by using the Database

> Configuration Assistant. This has an option to run scripts as part of

> the creation process, so I added several "*.sql" files that contain

> create table statements, but whilst these were in fact run, everything

> within them failed. So the end result is a database containing only

> the Oracle system tables, with no application tables.

> The sql files have been run successfully on a Solaris server, so the

> syntax is correct.

> I have found documenation on the web that says to create a table, just

> open a Windows command window and run "svrmgr filename.sql" (as well

> as a few other steps), but the 64 bit version of Oracle does not

> include this program. I have searched my whole hard disk for

> "svrmgr*.*" with no result.

> If anyone can suggest a method that I can use to create the tables,

> views etc., I would be very appreciative.

> Thanks,

> Dave

SVRMGRxx and INTERNAL has been deprecated since version 9.0. You should read up on 9i documentation. It's only sqlplus now and to connect as sys, you have to connect as sysdba. Don't trust "every" doco on the web.

Have you created non-system tablespaces and are you creating your tables in the non-system tablespace? What is the error message that you get when trying to create a table? Have you run a simple test of opening sqlplus and just trying CREATE TABLE foo (....);

Regards

/Rauf Sarwar