Re: RDMBS and Java - a "clash of civilizations" ?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:41:07 GMT

I've used Java for a number of reasons, but I won't claim to have used it extensively. In many cases, the use of Java has been for portability. In other cases, it has been used to extend PL/SQL. For instance...I needed to display the results of a 'df -k' on a web page. So I wrote a stored procedure, run in the database, which uses Java to do the 'df -k' on the host machine and to store the results in a table. The web page then reads the table's contents...after it envokes the stored procedure.

Cheers,
Brian

Jan Gelbrich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have read this NG for two years now,
> and whenever it comes to Java, I feel that there is a huge abyss
> between the Java folks and "us" - the Database folks;
> and each side is quite successful in pissing off the other ...
> in most cases because of ignorance of the other side.
>
> So, besides all of these flames,
> I would like to know generally if there *are* reasons to use Java
> inside and/or around the RDBMS,
> *besides* becoming portable,
> and without having to abandon performance issues.
>
> I personnally do not have to do anything with Java at all at my place
> - we simply do not need it. Only once I was cusrious to look in some infos
> about
> JDeveloper (the Koletzke book). I though: ok, nice, but do I really need it
> when I can do anythign I need with Forms/Reports.
>
> I would like to hear of some other opinions here (DBAs and Developers),
> how much of You do use Java, do You use it heavily or just for some things
> that PL/SQL cannot do. Tom Kyte gives advice to use it only when PL/SQL
> runs out.
>
> Thank You in advance, Jan

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com