Re: Temporary tables in memory

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:42:48 -0700

Chris Jack wrote:

>"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net> wrote in message news:<buG3b.295685$uu5.64729_at_sccrnsc04>...
>

>>How does the vendor solve the problem? Can you use global temporary tables?
>>Oracle does allow you to have a temporary tablespace that is a temp file.
>>(similar to Sybase and an efficient way to do it)
>>Jim
>>

>I'm not sure what you mean by how does the vendor solve the problem.
>The result sets are returned via global temporary tables - which are
>stored in a temporary tablespace which is stored on disk.
>
>If there is a method of storing the Oracle temporary tablespace in
>memory, then I would agree it was similar to Sybase and similarly
>efficient ....
>
><snipped>

Is all of this about solving a real performance problem or is this just a thinly disguised attempt to slam Oracle for not doing something the way it is done in Sybase?

I have been developing in Oracle for more than 14 years and have yet to ever use a temporary table: No need. Perhaps if you approached Oracle development with a thorough understanding of architecture and concepts you'd realize that your concerns are unnecessary ... just as are temporary tables in all but the most unusual of situations.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu