Re: A couple of questions

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: 29 Aug 2003 12:49:21 GMT

"MK" <MK_at_foo.com> wrote in news:bingco$92uqo$1_at_ID-174077.news.uni- berlin.de:

> 1) when I export with indexes=y, and then import the resulting
> dmp file into another instance (also with indexes=y), are
> indexes imported, or rebuilt from ground-up?

They are rebuilt from scratch. This is one of the differences between logical and physical backups. Exports are logical backups and when it comes to indexes only saves the DDL. The import simply executes it.

> 2) how can I throttle CPU usage for oracle.exe? During
> the night I run various DML jobs (mostly DELETE statements)
> and those jobs run oracle.exe up to 100%. This suffocates
> other processes on the machine and I get all kinds of
> warning messages. I'd like to put a limit, for example
> 80%, on oracle.exe's CPU usage - would this be possible?

Last I had heard, Oracle does not recommend you mess with run time priorities. You'd probably be better served on rethinking the job and seeing if you can get it to run more efficiently. For example, if you can partition the table by whatever column you use to drive the delete, you could just drop the partition. Or if you aren't using partitioning, you might be able to create a new table with just the rows you want to keep.

HTH Received on Fri Aug 29 2003 - 07:49:21 CDT