Re: Info on Migrating Sybase to Oracle

From: Terry Dykstra <dontreply_tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:33:37 GMT

Peoplesoft regularly installs with Sybase as back end. Companies like BMC, Quest fully support Sybase with their latest tools.

--
Terry Dykstra
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message

> Michael Lackey wrote:
>
> > <snipped>
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by "Lack
> > of supporting third-party tools and applications". Certainly
> > development for new database tools will probably aim for Oracle and
> > MSSQL first, but I don't feel it's because Sybase dosn't support them
> > as they have a very open API and active partner program.
>
> What I mean is that the folks at PeopleSoft, SAP, Baan, etc. will focus
their efforts on the big three.
> Third-party vendors such as Quest, Computer Associates, BMC, etc. too wil
focus their efforts where they get the
> biggest return on investment. Once marginalized it is hard to return to
the mainstream. And this is all about
> marketshare. Not a criticism of the product itself.
>

> > What kind of "Lack of supporting employee resources" have you seen. I
> > imagine there are less developers with Sybase experience than with
> > Oracle but then there are lots of MSSQL developers that could easily
> > translate their skills to Sybase.
>
> True now. But as SQL Server and Sybase diverge that becomes true less and
less. Sybase does not have the capital