Re: Info on Migrating Sybase to Oracle

From: Myron Murff <myron_at_delphi.bsd.uchicago.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:39:30 -0500

For the edification of those following this thread I offer the following. Our division is just following a general trend here at this university in abandoning Sybase for Oracle. I think the major problem was dissatisfaction with Sybase's position regarding licensure and yearly maintenance cost. We were once regarded as a Sybase stronghold, but many felt that with declining market share and our long standing association with that company we should have been entitled to more "consideration". Our "local" shift came at the behest of an incoming divisional CIO who mandated the change for all new projects, with an eventual transfer of old line production to the new database platform. That CIO has moved on and we are now at a point where we must begin planning the eventual retirement of our Sybase line. I guess the main point here is that the reasons for the shift were not really technical, nor were they based on careful evaluation. Of course all of this is extremely unofficial, strictly my opinion. Someone closer to the powers that be here may see it all quite differently.

Myron Murff

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F4D0410.B217207E_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Michael Lackey wrote:
>
> > <snipped>
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by "Lack
> > of supporting third-party tools and applications". Certainly
> > development for new database tools will probably aim for Oracle and
> > MSSQL first, but I don't feel it's because Sybase dosn't support them
> > as they have a very open API and active partner program.
>
> What I mean is that the folks at PeopleSoft, SAP, Baan, etc. will focus
their efforts on the big three.
> Third-party vendors such as Quest, Computer Associates, BMC, etc. too wil
focus their efforts where they get the
> biggest return on investment. Once marginalized it is hard to return to
the mainstream. And this is all about
> marketshare. Not a criticism of the product itself.
>

> > What kind of "Lack of supporting employee resources" have you seen. I
> > imagine there are less developers with Sybase experience than with
> > Oracle but then there are lots of MSSQL developers that could easily
> > translate their skills to Sybase.
>
> True now. But as SQL Server and Sybase diverge that becomes true less and
less. Sybase does not have the capital