Re: Why so many Gay Oracle people?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:38:25 -0700

Maximus wrote:

> I'm a relative newbie to Oracle and this group, the impression I've gotten
> is there are many experts here who have little patience for people who don't
> use correct terminology, post obscure questions, don't make any sense, don't
> provide adequate detail, don't read the documentation first, don't read
> FAQ's, yadda yadda. I don't blame them for occasionally giving
> short-tempered answers, especially when people start demanding URGENT
> replies, or students who come here who are too lazy to do their own
> homework, etc. OTOH, sometimes while we do not have the luxury of spending
> hours studying documentation and it's nice to be able to ask a question
> without getting one's head ripped-off.

I agree. And if I could give one simple piece of advice, not that head ripping is excusable or RTFM is head ripping, it would be:

Demonstrate some degree of effort. A simple statement such as "I looked at tahiti and couldn't find ...." is enough.

But anyone that writes something like:

"I'm running a SQL statement and it is slow ...." without mentioning version, statistics, providing code, or running and EXPLAIN PLAN pretty much deserves what they get.

I understand the need to ask for help. I ask for it from time-to-time does pretty much everyone else. But Oracle is not MS Notepad. One does not, or should not, pick it up any more lightly than one would study medicine or law. We are professionals and should act that way. Which means investing effort not just trying to 'get by' with the least possible effort.

--
Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/aoa/aoa_main.asp