Re: Shark Storage System And Sun Cluster setup

From: Louis Frolio <froliol_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Aug 2003 13:23:15 -0700

hulse_kevin_at_yahoo.com (Hulse) wrote in message news:<16926526.0308251001.3c8a1111_at_posting.google.com>...
> Kalle <kk.kk_at_kk.com> wrote in message news:<3F49B28F.D3599C25_at_kk.com>...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > do you have any good document or white paper or link how to setup Shark
> > Storage System And Sun Cluster setup with Oracle 9iRel2. we will not use
> > any RAC.
> >
> > Any hints will be appreciated...
> >
> > rgds
> > Kalle
>
> On that general theme, I would also like to see what experiences the
> rest of the group has had with EMC Symetrix DMX storage. I have
> recently inherited an instance that at first glance is a disaster
> waiting to happen. It's running on an DMX with on 4 LUNs with all
> Oracle files distributed across the same 4 LUNS (redo & undo included).
> I've voiced my concerns to the SAN administrators. However, they seem
> to have total faith in the EMC's ability to insulate Oracle from the
> underlying disk layout. I would appreciate pointers to any documentation
> that would help me prove my case or ease my apprehension.

I work in an environment where we have many Symms including a DMX 2000. Specifially, what is you concern with the system? The DMX has as standard between 16 and 32 Gig cache and can go up to 512 Gb cache.  Generally it is rather hard to tax one of these devices unless of course you have an extremely busy app. How are the disks configured, Raid 0+1, Raid 5, Raid S? So you know, the DMX does not completely insulate the Oracle from the sub I/0. Please email me with you specific questions and I will be glad to answer.

Louis. froliol_at_yahoo.com Received on Mon Aug 25 2003 - 15:23:15 CDT