Re: Patch up your security, folks, before the 15th...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:28:22 +1000

"Paul Drake" <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1ac7c7b3.0308130656.7e965029_at_posting.google.com...
> component to it, its just a worm. So a firewall should be sufficient
> to block this (as well as blocking such ports over any vpn
> connections).

Yeah. It uses the RPC port. I don't have a problem with this sort of thing, all access is through a hardware firewall/router. Love these things: they are locked in by design and you have to intentionally open access where you want it. Best investment I've done. Plus it e-mails me the little visitor's IP, so I can start checking on the nasty ones from anywhere.

> other than that - no issues with applying SP4 on W2K Server.

It stuffed up with my AMD XP2200 mobo: had to update the VIA 4-in-1 drivers and a whole stack of other stuff... But it's all back to normal now. Did this long before this worm showed up anyway.

> After applying SP4, you'll still need to run the Windows Update agent
> to get the 2 buffer overflow patches, which will require another
> reboot. Better off to set your oracle services to manual prior to
> applying SP4, and then set them back to automatic after you're done
> patching.

Isn't it wonderful? ;)

--
Cheers