Re: A few NG related questions

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:20:50 +1000

"John" <jbradshaw777_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f2f59d82.0308130923.266a8c2f_at_posting.google.com...

> * Are these ORACLE news groups moderated? I was under the impression
> that they are, but I am beginning to think I was wrong.

You were wrong.

> * I saw posting statistics posted from time to time. How are these
> ststs generated? Is ORACLE Corp. somehow involved?

A volunteer does that. He might be from O, but no one is paying him specifically to do it.

> * For people who have been in these NGs for a while, how has the
> traffic to these NGs changed over the years? I heard somebody say the
> traffic used to be much busier.

That "somebody" doesn't have a clue what he/she is saying. If anything, it's busier now.

> * For people who also visit the SQL server NGs, how do you compare the
> traffic, over the years? I was surprised to know there were many more
> SQL server related NGs than ORACLE, and I saw a lot of traffic over
> there.

In the comp.databases.* hierarchy in google, you'll find 1 (one) NG for sql server, 4 (four) for Oracle and 11 (eleven!) for Postgres. Draw your own conclusions...

Now, if you're talking about the NGs under the microsoft.* hierarchy, I don't know: those are controlled by microsoft and there are quite a few created out of the blue sky. They seem to go up in number with every new release of a product from that company.

While you're there, compare the relative lengths of the little green bars on top of each NG name. That shows you which ones have been active in the last week or so.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto