Re: database could not be started

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:02:05 GMT

> But, I still don't see (maybe because I haven't been burned yet) why backing
> up the REDO logs during a cold backup is that big of a deal. We never back
> them up at any other time and these cold backups are stored in an entirely
> different location than any other backup - would be hard to imagine
> recovering these backed up REDO logs for anything other than a recover from
> the cold backup.

When we do cold backups of our databases, using an automated tape library system, then we do backup the redo log files. With our vendor's implementation (Legato), it is easier to back up an entire disk volume than it is to backup the disk volume, but skip certain files. So backing up the redo logs is no big deal, IMO. What is a big deal is if you use them during a restore and recovery operation. For that, make sure you follow QM/HJR's advice.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com