Re: Log file I/O throughput

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:57:40 GMT

> I know some people don't like it. But using one log member per group
> when you have good hardware redundancy is actually good practice.

I don't like the advice because there is a difference between multiplexing and mirroring. In mirroring, you have two *identical* copies, block by block. In multiplexing you have two distinctly different files each of which is *supposed* to contain identical information. If you get a corrupted block in a redo log, then if that redo log is mirrored, the corrupted block is most likely propagated to that mirror copy. If the redo logs are multiplexed, then it is much harder for that block corruption to be in both copies. I always multiplex my redo logs and control files, even if I am forced to place them on the same disk.

HTH,Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"