Re: A single dedicated server shared between multiple sessions?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 12 Aug 2003 01:08:35 -0700

vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au (Vsevolod Afanassiev) wrote

<snipped>
> I realized that while a user may have several forms (and sessions) opened,
> they share the same PID, so I only need to run ORADEBUG once
> to enable tracing in ALL sessions.

That makes sense... When I read your posting I thought you were implying that you had MTS behaviour using DEDICATED server. I.e. having multiple client db sessions (each with a unique session handle) using the same shadow, And _that_ is simply not possible in dedicated server mode.

But having the client playing MTS on its own - creating a single session handle and then running multiple forms/client sessions over it, is not that unusual.

You can do the same (without too much effort) using Delphi/C++ or even Visual Basic. You create a session and get a session handle. Then you supply an interface to the rest of the client for running SQL statements on that handle.. but you make that interface thread safe allowing only a single active SQL (i.e. executing) statement at a time over that handle. Thus all SQL execution is serialised, but that is not too serious when dealing with it in a single interact client.

--
Billy