Re: A single dedicated server shared between multiple sessions?

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 11 Aug 2003 02:52:31 -0700

Billy,
I also wouldn't believe if someone told me, but here I am...

Yes, I looked in both V$SESSION (for USERNAME, OSUSER, SID, SERIAL#, etc) and V$PROCESS (for PID and SPID). I join them by ADDR column

select ... from v$SESSION S, V$PROCESS P WHERE P.ADDR = S.PADDR.

I also did a select count(*) from both, as well as "ps -ef" (the box does not have much else running - only one Oracle database). Results clearly indicate following: for each user connected through Oracle Forms (using the same "entry" form and then opening additional forms via menu):
- Multiple sessions with different SID, SERIAL#, although the same
V$SESSION.PROCESS - basically new forms are opened as new threads in the same Windows process "ifrun60.exe"
- The same PID and SPID are shared

I noticed this phenomenon when users compleined about poor performance and I neded to trace forms to find out what exactly they do: when using ORADEBUG SETORAPID N,ORADEBUG EVENT 10046 TRACE NAME CONTEXT FOREVER I realized that while a user may have several forms (and sessions) opened, they share the same PID, so I only need to run ORADEBUG once to enable tracing in ALL sessions.

I checked documentation for Oracle Forms - in particular looking at built-ins CALL_FORM, NEW_FORM, OPEN_FORM, RUN_PRODUCT. While the option to open new session/reuse existing one is mentioned for OPEN_FORM, there is nothing about sharing the dedicated server. If I have time I'll build my own form and check how it works.

Again, thanks for responding.

Regards,
Sev Received on Mon Aug 11 2003 - 04:52:31 CDT