Re: Oracle Database Server Died, doesn't come back up

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:30:53 GMT

> > ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 11 - see DBWR trace file
> > ORA-01110: data file 11: '/raid5/ora/817/XXXXxxxxxxxxx.dbf'

The Oracle database noted that you are running Oracle on a RAID5 volume. Knowing that this isn't the best thing to do for an Oracle database, the instance decided against starting. If you read the DBWR trace file, you will find a message which states "RAID 5 volumes=poor write performance. Instance shutting down." Move off of RAID 5 at your earliest convenience.

HTH,
Brian

P.S. The above is a joke and not a real solution. Except for the part about moving off of RAID 5.

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"