Re: Can 8.0.5 server/client coexist with Oracle Client 8.1.7 in a same box?

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:51:13 -0500

On 8 Aug 2003 13:01:06 -0700, kchui_at_yahoo.com (K. Hui) wrote:

>I have a client in Europe that he has a NT box with Oracle 8.0.5
>server on it. We have some applications that use Oracle ODBC 8.0.5
>driver and have memory leaks problem. After a number of testings, we
>found that using Oracle 8.1.8b ODBC driver with 8.1.7 Oracle client
>has the best result (it still shows a little memory leak but is much
>better).
>Since the applications reside on the same box of the Oracle server and
>the server is being used by other applications too. The client does
>not want to upgrade the server to 8.1.7. The client also refuses to
>install another box so that my applications can be run from a
>different box. So here are my questions:
>1) Can I install 8.1.7 client and 8.1.8b ODBC driver on the same box
>of the Oracle 8.0.5 server?
>2) If yes, how can I configure my applications to use the 8.1.8b ODBC
>driver while other applications continue to use Oracle 8.0.5 client
>software?
>
>3) Or any pointers to solve the problem?
>
>Thanks

Yes. Install the 8.1.7 client (the odbc drivers should be a part of that install by defaule, I believe) into its own Oracle home. On NT, the existing 8.0 Oracle home is probably c:\orant. The default for 8.1.7 should be c:\oracle\ora81.

You select which odbc driver to use when you define the odbc data source name. Received on Fri Aug 08 2003 - 15:51:13 CDT