Re: Can SQL *Loader parse data from a CLOB source rather than a file?

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07 Aug 2003 15:22:25 GMT

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote:
> > Under unix, you can make a named pipe and have SQL Loader use that
> > as a source. Then you just need something to read the CLOB and
> > write it to the named pipe.
>
> Isn't this like trying to pound a nail with a sledgehammer? Or as my
> great grandpappy used to say, "Why chase the mouse around the house when
> a trap and piece of cheese will do all the work?"

Making a named pipe is drop dead simple. It's hardly chasing a mouse around the house. Besides, I got the impression that he would have to maintain the SQL Loader control file anyway, which means he'd have to have two code bases and keep them in synch if he went with SQL for the clobs. Ugh.

> Why pull the data out of the database, run it through a pipe, feed the
> results into SQL*Loader and then use it to parse the data when SQL
> statements can do what you need?

I find that parsing things in SQL sucks.

> If there is a performance problem with
> the SQL statements, tune that.

Talk about chasing a mouse around the house.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB