Re: Can DBA Jobs be Outsourced ???

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 17:51:16 -0700

ronnie_yours_at_yahoo.com (Ronnie) wrote in message news:<ea603f8d.0308060909.79ae8680_at_posting.google.com>...

> Will the DBA jobs ever be outsourced overseas and if yes then what are
> the options do we DBA's have to save our jobs.

Wake up: DBA jobs ARE now outsourced overseas! Been going on for nearly 10 years, now. About time people realized this...

There are various types of "DBA".

The production DBA, as the person that takes care of running systems, is a prime candidate to vanish into third world oblivion. Any problems this may cause, like total lack of security, no guarantee whatsoever that work is indeed being done, etc, can easily be remedied by liberal applications of "marketing grease" and a few other forms of IT management kickback.

Developer DBA's, as in the ones that have to support and hand-hold a pack of developers, is another thing. But development is increasingly being farmed out to third-world countries as well. So, draw your conclusions.

Design DBA's, as in people who can understand how the heck to get business data into a working database, are very rare and only needed once in a while. Not a very big demand and most likely they won't be outsourced: just hired when needed.

Of course, how the heck is anyone gonna extract value from a new implementation when it is being done by the same people who will be coding for your direct competitors, nobody knows. But I'm sure the "liberal applications" mentioned above will fix that too. Money makes the world go around, never forget that.

Bottom line: wanna be a "DBA"? Knock yourself out...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Aug 06 2003 - 19:51:16 CDT