Re: Query taking forever...

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:22:32 -0700

Tiger Woods wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have a query that is taking forever (11 - 12 minutes on the initial run)
> and its query a table that has just less than 74 000 records.
> The statement is as follows:
>
> SELECT casenum, flags, starter, casedesc, procflags, to_char(next_deadline,
> 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI'), outstanding_mail
> FROM swpro.case_information
> WHERE node_id = 1
> AND proc_id = 26
> AND casenum >= 2
> ORDER BY casenum
>
> The Sql is generated by the Staffware Application.
>
> Any idea's on this...
>
> Thanks
>
> Clint

Lots of ideas. Do you have answers for these?

  1. What hardware
  2. What operating system
  3. What versoin and edition of Oracle?
  4. How long does the SQL statement take when run in SQL*Plus?
  5. What optimizer mode?
  6. Are statistics current?
  7. Have you run EXPLAIN PLAN? And if so with what result?
  8. How many of the 74,000 rows does the query return?
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu