Re: Why does an online redolog keeps active after checkpoint completion?

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 00:39:56 +1000

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 14:22:25 GMT, Yago <yago2003_at_terra.es> wrote:

> Well, if your database is in Archivelog mode, after the log switch the
> online redo log is still active until its archiving process is finished.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yago

Incorrect. A log file has a status of active until its been checkpointed. That's one thing. Then it has a status of archived or unarchived. That's another thing. You can see that quite clearly in v$log... there's a column called STATUS ('active', 'inactive' or 'current') and another column entirely called 'ARCHIVED' (yes or no). Two different causes, two different scenarios. And your suggestion that the one affects the other is quite wrong.

The source of confusion for the original poster is simply that in 8i (if not in 8.0??) Oracle made a change: a log isn't inactive until it's been switched away from, been checkpointed *and the next log's been switched away from, too*. Which means our friend needs to switch twice before the original log appears as inactive.

It's been documented for a while, too.

~QM