Re: Migrate 200 Million of rows

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 23:06:48 -0700

Reg <2regburgess_at_earthlink.net> wrote

> At the simplest level of explanation, data is represented in a
> different way that is more efficient in the use of bits
> (and bytes). Suffice to say that "arithmetic" is performed on
> the data, the result of which is a representation that is more
> efficient in its bit usage. The arithmetic is "reversible" so
> that the original data can be recreated.

That is not that far fetched. It is called fractal compression. The way I understand it (from doing fractals as a 1st year student in Logo decades ago :-), is that a fractal equation can describe an image.

Thus, if you can reverse the process.. put the data into an image format/page, then find an equation to describe the image, all you need to store is the equation to generate that image again.

Anyway, I have a foolproof method for compression. You take something like 10,000 bytes and make it into a very beeg number. You divide it by a gagool and turn it into a itsy bit tiny wee little number. And as we all know, it cannot take much space to store a tiny little number.

> I hate to admit how long ago it was that someone had me nearly
> convinced that he was working on a compression algorithm that
> would reduce the size of an infinitely large file to a single bit.
> He said it worked, but the decompression code still had bugs.
>
> That and his perpetual motion machine (-:

Talking about perpetual motion.. have you heard about that guy they found dead in the shower? Was a mystery until they read the instructions on the shampoo bottle and discovered he was a programmer. The instructions were a) apply, b) lather, c) rinse, d) repeat.

Personally I think there is a conspiracy among shampoo manufacturers to kill of programmers.

--
Billy